THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Monday, March 26, 2012

BOYZ in da HOODie

Symbols mean something. The Hooded Sweatshirt aka HOODIE is a symbol of thinking you are or maybe actually are a Bad Ass, THUG, or Gangsta.

Today, there are gatherings all over America of people wearing Hoodies in solidarity of the one month anniversary of the shooting of a young man in Orlando. I don't have an opinion of whether Mr. Zimmerman a latino, was justified in shooting the young black male who was wearing a hoodie or if it was a crime that should be punishable by improsonment. I do know that even though I am fairly large guy, with military and police training, my antennae go up whenever I see young men of any color in a group all wearing this article of clothing.

When the tension level goes up, mistakes and impulsive actions like drawing a gun and shooting, are more likely to occur. I am not blaming the victim any more than I would blame the female college student who was raped on her way home in the dark, inebriated, partially clothed, but I DO KNOW that simple risk management suggests that there are always things one can choose to do that will lessen the likelihood of something bad happening. Not wearing a hoodie is one of these choices. Wear one at your own risk (to a degree). By the way, I did not photo-shop this photo, this is actually a Hoodie that is for sale on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment