THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Monday, November 12, 2012

I GAVE AT THE BALLOT BOX

There are some personal favorite charities to which I will always contribute.  Over the years I have given to many more causes because that was the "American Way."  I have even contributed to PBS.  After this recent presidential election I "got the memo" that the American people wanted the government to do everything for them.  The losing (L) party was more into private enterprise and philanthropy.  In the spirit of Kumbaya, i said to myself "If you can't lick 'em, join 'em." I have come to accept that it must be the government's job to provide everything for everybody, after all that was the platform of the winning party.  The natural corollary to that would be: therefore I don't have to send money to support any public-spirited causes except at tax time when I will send more than last year because of a tax increase and the government will support all the causes directly, like they support Planned Parenthood, and Big Bird.

So, when the United Way or Easter Seals, among others, send you requests for donations in the coming months, and your cupboard is bare and you have trouble making ends meet, and face higher taxes and overhead in your business, don't worry (be happy) that you can't contribute to these causes, the Government will step in and take care of everything.  I heard it from Axelrod, it must be true.  I was softening in my stance for a while until I went to my car dealer for a minor repair.  The bill was 2 1/2 times larger than it should have been and was eventually corrected.  We complained that this was not the first time and it suggested that this might be a business decision.  The service writer bristled and told me that ALL doctors are crooks, and that NOBODY is ENTITLED to make more than a certain amount of money under any circumstances.  Paradoxically, he worked at a dealership where the average car costs 80 thousand dollars.  So, I was jolted back to modern reality.  The people have spoken and the algorithm goes like this....  Private citizens make money, some way more than others, but that's not fair.  The government taxes those citizens at various rates and redistributes the wealth. We don't need any charities any more or charitable giving since the government will take care of everything.  And like the mythological perpetual motion machine, the system is self sustaining and will operate friction-free forever.  Unicorns and Lotus Blossoms are implied but not specifically mentioned  among the changes we are ENTITLED to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment