THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A I K I D O the OTHER OPTION


There is an asian martial art called Aikido in which the goal is self defense without excess damage to your opponent.  It turns the energy of the assailant against him not in a "knocking-heads" way but by redirection of force and  skillfully deflecting the attack.  I use this art as a metaphor for dealing with life when I am not wearing my diametrically different other hat of confrontational-man.  In the long run, when dealing with assault of any variety, Aikido has proven a better friend than the violent impact  reminiscent of  two 300 pound lineman banging into one another in American football.   It feels good for a moment to whack your opposition like sacking the quarterback but then there is the inevitable regret if someone is hurt, or if after all the exertion you get nowhere.  How much better is it to absorb the energy of the oncoming problem and redirect it to your own best use.

Some of my recent posts in which I lambast the other political philosophy or those who are gaming the system feel intellectually satisfying but then the feeling comes over you like you would get if you were clubbing a baby seal.  I then reconsider my actions and my head-butting ways, put on my yin-yang hat, and mellow out.  In the long run, Aikido as a self defense art and a way of dealing with adversity, real and perceived, serves me better.  That is not to say that Rhino toughness is not a plus.  There is a difference between being tough and being pig-headed.


No comments:

Post a Comment