THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Sunday, April 3, 2011

FLYING LIZARD?

No this is an ANOLE on my screen door on Siesta Key, not to be confused with A-holes which populate Congress. This little fella is on the outside of the screen but sometimes he is inside the screen and outside the glass door. He stays there for days eating the various bugs that get trapped. He has, you might say a "captive audience."

When I was ten years old and lived in New York, we took a trip to Bermuda and I saw my first lizard in the wild. I would catch them and and put them in a jar with holes on the top and then catch bugs and put them in the jar. Very amusing. Now that we live in Florida, they are commonplace and only occasionally a source or entertainment. Sometimes two lizards face off over territory and expand their necks and make threatening mouth gestures. Sometimes they get eaten by Herons.

My sister in law, who grew up in Jamaica, where lizards of all shapes sizes and colors run rampant, is deathly afraid of them. At their house in Miami, they leave the front porch light on which attracts bugs which attracts lizards. The lizards cling to the wall above the front door and potentially "could" fall on someone entering or leaving the house. Horror of Horrors, I think the only way my sister in law leaves the house is through the garage and by car. They are so cute... why the fear? It's not like they are Black Widow Spiders or anything. They are cute little Anoles.

No comments:

Post a Comment