THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Friday, October 12, 2012

JOE HYENA


I watched the Vice-Presidential debate last night in its entirety.  Congressman Paul Ryan, the Republican contender was articulate, informed, and polite.  He was criticized for being non-specific in what he and Presidential aspirant Mitt Romney plan to do to "turn things around"in the economy, foreign policy, everything. And I agree, I would have liked more specifics but in politics that is not wise.  Whenever a candidate is too specific, it is like saying I like the Yankees not the Red Sox, you make enemies of half the people in the room.  "I like baseball" creates no opposition.  Barack Obama wrote the book on being non specific.  His ENTIRE campaign in 2008 was vague and fuzzy and only about Hope and Change.  He made few enemies and won handily. Political lesson learned.  

Joe "the Hyena" Biden was also on the stage.  Rather that dispute his facts which were often wrong, I will leave that to the "fact-checkers" I wish to comment on his demeanor.  He grinned and laughed and snickered through every answer that Ryan gave.  Everyone watching the debate could see and hear him on split-screen.  I would say I was embarrassed for him but I rarely even get embarrassed for myself.  Rather (not Dan), I believe he was more of a modern TV man than Paul Ryan.  In the mold of Chris Matthews he spoke over and interrupted during each block of 2 minutes that Ryan had to give his answer, distracting everyone. Maybe that's what passes for etiquette these days, even from the Vice-President.  Is sure does not work in my house. 

Following the debate, on CNN and FOX, interviews with men and women revealed that the event was essentially a TIE.  Perhaps on content but I think Joe lost a lot of the women's vote on style  Women don't like this conduct in men, it reminds them too much of what it's like in their workplace and homes. You can be certain that if the Democrat hopeful were a woman and Joe were a Republican, the following morning on CBS, ABC, NBC, and particularly MSNBC would be ALL about bad behavior and Misogyny, and nothing about facts.  The moderator was a woman and he ran roughshod over her too.  The Democratic hope that Joe would redeem the miserable performance by the President last week in his debate with Romney, did not happen. Biden was anything but statesmanlike.  He would however make a good fill-in for Chris Matthews if he goes on vacation. Maybe that's his plan...his next career after he leaves politics in January.  

No comments:

Post a Comment