THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

RESIGNING as General Manager of the UNIVERSE


As I look back at my 3 score and 10 years that I have spent on the third rock from the Sun, I reflect upon the opinions I have had, the decisions I have made, and the things, with the best of intentions, I tried to teach to others. My track record would be great if it were a batting average in baseball, but abysmal if it were a survival rate in cardiac surgery.  Retrospectively, I have been wrong more often than I have been right.  Now that I am the old wise man in my family, I mistakenly believe that this will somehow raise my success rate.  Au contraire.  It probably renders my opinions irrelevant to the young whose world is so different from the one I grew up in.  Who am I to stand in judgement of an army of young people who think that gay marriage is a necessity, "Change" of any kind is good, and no problem exists that can't be cured with the right government program, and if that doesn't work, spend more money we don't have.

I have my beliefs about these things and others as well.  In my dreams I would want all creation to follow my advice.  In actuality, that would not make sense. At least a third of my recommendations would not work at all, and another third would probably make things worse.  At best I would bat .333. ARod would be proud, Michael Debakey, MD, would be sued.   So, in keeping with that, and the realization, which since it comes from my mind could in itself be wrong, that I don't know as much as I think, I am tendering my resignation, effective immediately, as General Manager of the Universe.

Any opinions expressed do not represent those of the staff, management, or shareholders of IslandOracle and all resemblance to any persons living or dead is purely coincidental.    copywrong MMXIII



No comments:

Post a Comment