THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

MORTALITY

I wrote an essay on mortality the other day and sent it to several of my friends my age and a little older. I received a good response and a lot of wisdom. Most stated that they never thought about death as it was inevitable, and thinking about it was a waste of time and life energy that would be better spent "in this moment." Each of us has had loved ones and friends, acquaintances and neighbors who have gone on to the happy hunting ground, Elysian Fields, the underworld, or New Jersey, depending upon your belief system. Wherever, they are no longer physically here. These folks were young and old, chronically ill or suddenly taken, and everywhere in between.

Perhaps my intention in writing the Mortality Essay was misunderstood or I wrote it with too much metaphor and not enough dogma. What I meant to say was something to the effect: We are all going to die sometime and there may or may not be an afterlife so... to play it safe, live for the here and now and don't plan too far into the future because the future many never come and when it does come it won't be what you though it was going to be...so there. I use mortality as the reason to live not something to fear. So with that, I am signing off for today and going out to breathe some fresh air and get some sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment