THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TIME SAVER

For those of us who live in and around Sarasota, Florida, where the only option among daily newspapers is the Sarasota Herald Tribune, I have discovered an incredible time saving system for deciding which side to take on the issues of the day. I am sure that there may be the occasional exception but generally you can "take this to the bank"...If you can understand the poor writing and grammar and can ascertain what the opinion of the paper is, if you then take the EXACT OPPOSITE opinion, you will invariably be right.

It used to make me mad to open the daily paper and read the opinions of the editors and reporters of the paper because "I was there" at the event on which they were reporting and I knew that what I was reading in the paper was not correct. I no longer get mad, or irritated, I have merely changed my attitude from one of being "pissed" to being thankful. If I see an article, for example, about why we absolutely and positively NEED to have High Speed Railways in Florida, I immediately know that having a high speed rail would be the fiscal equivalent of dropping a concrete block on your foot. IF they report that this would boost our economy and save the state, I know that this means that in the real world that is not populated with Unicorns, this would be a boondoggle and bankrupt us into the year 2050.

So from now on, when you go out to your driveway to retrieve "the" paper, know that you are about to save yourself incredible amounts of time doing research on the internet, or in the library. Read an article, any article, and hopefully you will with some difficulty "get" what they are trying to say. An article about "Poor woman can't get help for wrongly arrested honor student son" might mean "Woman clueless about parenting blames everyone but herself for son holding up convenience store." You get the picture. Always glad to be of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment