THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Monday, September 13, 2010

STICKER SHOCK

New Englanders are no stranger to self expression. Some Blog, some just put a load of stickers on the backs of their JEEPS. This is a NOT-uncommon sight on Nantucket. Most of the cars that are adorned like this are expressing sentiments against: War, Progress, Bush (the former president not an anatomical or horticultural reference) or throwing anything away without recycling it. I sure hope these stickers are biodegradable.

Stickers are as popular here as they are in grade school only they are not put on your body or in a scrapbook, they go on your car. The greatest sign of coolness is a 10 year old car with ten years of Beach and Oversand permits on the bumper, NEVER removing last year's, just adding this year's until the various colored stickers run from one side of your car to the other. Couple that with a Vanity license plate that incorporate the letters ACK and you are in line for sainthood. Seriously, I am only reporting about this and not condemning it as I have my share of stickers on the bumper of my SUV. Since my car is a 2010,only a poseur put more than this year's Official annual permit stickers on it. Other stickers like the Vineyard Vines pink whale are not dated so I put a bunch of them on. I may get a vanity plate that has ACK in it before returning here for next season. It is, however, like trying to pick a domain name for a website or an email address. Most of the good ones are taken, so you wind up with Phil243 or something similar. I previously posted on this blog several of the better ones along with the Quarterboards from the multimillion dollar homes which were NOT limited to 7 letters and numbers as a license plate would be. My plate would be a Florida plate so the options are somewhat improved. If you see me driving in Sarasota in the spring with a license plate that says something like A-C-K-2, you will know I am spending next summer on Nantucket. Seeing me wearing my Nantucket red slacks, with a Madras jacket and a whale belt at the club might be another hint.

3 comments: