THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The MAN from NANTUCKET

It is not that I do not appreciate my hometown (for the past 35 years) of Sarasota with its beautiful white sandy beaches and dozens of artsy-fartsy things to do. It is just that in a previous life (See "(Many Lives Many Masters" by Brian L. Weiss, M.D.) I must have lived on an island like this one, without palm trees and University of Florida alumni, because I really feel at home here. The Kitty and I disagree that I am intrinsically a New Englander. She thinks that I would have had to have spent my childhood on the Eastern side of the New York-Connecticut border rather than the western side in order to formally be a Yankee. I guess she never heard of the baseball team from NEW YORK that bears that name. Anyhow, I consider myself a New Englander and I have the Polo shirts and Bass Weejuns to prove it.

Actually, New York, named after York in England, was New Amsterdam, Named after Holland, before that. The early history of the area was Dutch, then English, now Puerto Rican. But that is a whole other story. (Maria, I just met a girl named Maria.)
Actually all of this geography has strong American Indian roots. The word Nantucket means "expensive restaurant" in their native tongue. Speaking of restaurants, we hope to go out tonight to one of our favorites... Brotherhood of Thieves for a nice thick juicy Burger, Fries and a Grey Lady beer, brewed here by the Cisco Brewery of Nantucket. It reminds me of those lagers I used to have years ago when I attended school in Oxford, England. They put a little Rose's lime juice in the bottom of the glass before pouring in the beer. Hmmmm. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.


3 comments:

  1. Who's this handsome devil?! I'm booking my flight today !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait 'til you see me at the end of the summer... I am going to look like Markie Mark, only taller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There once was a man from Nantucket? , whose affair with Sarasota was suspect,

    ReplyDelete