THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Sunday, December 26, 2010

I DON'T want to turn into my parents

When I was a teenager, my parents were as judgmental as they could be about rock and roll and our idols, like Elvis Presley. They called him "Elvis Pelvis" and "Enis Penis" because of the way he gyrated his hips on stage. I was not swooning like my female counterparts but I did enjoy his music immensely and played it non-stop. I was reminded of this judgmentalism when I thought about the social networking, tweeting, facebooking, MySpaceing, and of course the incessant texting that goes on between our youth. I shall resist looking down my liver spot infested nose at these young people and the drivel that occupies their day as I am sure I was the same at their age. We had essentially no electronics except a phonograph and an AM radio (with tubes), later Black and White and then a ROUND color TV. I remember my first pocket calculator in the early 70s. It cost about $150 and could add, subtract, multiply, divide, do square roots and had memory 1 and 2. You get a better one now with a Happy Meal for free. Today I carry an iPhone that can make calls, text, internet, e-mail, and 1,000,000 other applications. If I had pulled this phone out of my pocket in 1970, they would have burned me at the stake as a witch. Especially in Maryland and Salem Massachusetts.

So I will NOT be an old judgmental bastard and believe that our country is going to Hell in a hand basket because of what I have read on Twitter and Facebook. Instead I will give it a good trial period before I conclude as I did with RAP Music and Hip Hop that it is complete crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment