THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Saturday, December 11, 2010

WANTED...DEAD OR ALIVE

Like most responsible Americans, I have life insurance. I bought it years ago. Periodically, I drag the policies out of the file and attempt to read them. This dragging usually corresponds to the notice I get to pay a premium. I not only can't understand the policy any better than a congressman understood what was in the Obama Health Plan, I am angry that they are still sending me requests for premium payments. When I bought these policies, I was assured that the Insurance Companies would generate enough income from investments that the the premium payments would cease after 10 years. Well, it's 20 years now and I still get requests for premiums....because their investments were not good enough to cover the premiums so "I" have to make up the difference which by the way is DOUBLE the initial premium. It's no wonder why the biggest buildings on any skyline are insurance companies. What a deal. You lure people in with promises and when you can't make enough money to satisfy the higher-ups at the company you just ask for more than you promised you would ask for from your customers.

Wouldn't it be great if I could go back to patients I had treated in the past and tell them "That total knee replacement you got in 1994... I just can't live on what you paid me so I am sending you a bill for another $1000." When they balk, I remind them of the 437 page contract they signed prior to the surgery. Or your car lease.... you get a notice from Toyota that the Prius you drive daily can no longer be $250 per month because the company had all these fines. lawsuits, and recalls to pay for so please send in another $200 per month.

I am currently in the process of reconsidering my existing policies. I have had some good help in this process but I still have the feeling that most of the promises that My two big insurers made me were, like the BLIMP in the photo above, "A bunch of HOT AIR."

No comments:

Post a Comment