THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

BLACK LIST SUSAN



We had lunch today at a island local restaurant, Black Eyed Susan's. First of all, we ate there before and the food was tasty then and it was tasty today. Now for the bad news. Our waiter was probably from Bulgaria or some other Eastern European locale. Not that it's a bad thing, but he seemed pissed off at something the whole time we were there. Maybe he missed his Borscht or whatever the Hell they eat in his little village. Anyhow, My wife, the Kitty, and I went there with my daughter, and the Babies and we got 2 separate checks. When I asked Ivan (not his real name) to make separate checks he looked at me like I asked him for his secret Cayman Island bank account number. I was not very hungry so I ordered a toasted bagel with cream cheese and jelly. He brought 2 jellies...you know those little bottles that have a sealed strip on top. They were previously used and half empty. Not a problem, he brought 2 others. He had no powers of observation as to what a person dining in the restaurant might need to enjoy a meal and we had to ask him for utensils, napkins, syrup, and of course the jelly.

While I was eating I smelled that unmistakeable garbage can aroma. I walked 3 feet around a lattice fence and there were the cans for the entire restaurant, uncovered...hence the smell, and the associated flies. I kind of ignored that and was absent-mindedly looking under the table and saw that I was standing on an extension cord that was part of an intricate system of wiring that ran under the bricks from one side of the narrow patio to another and ended in a triple outlet. Into that outlet there were 3 other extension cords running to each of three tables and from them another cord running to a high wattage heater that was attached to the shafts of the table umbrellas.

At a nearby table I overheard a woman complaining that she won't go to the White Elephant because it is for tourists unlike this place which is for locals. I looked under her table and she was standing on a wire too. If it were to rain with the electrical Rube Goldberg setup they have here, we could all get fried like the Royal Family in the movie "King Ralph." I doubt they have this wiring design at the White Elephant but I will check the next time I go there. It might be worth the extra premium to eat on table cloths and not get electrocuted. I will not be coming back here no matter how good the food tastes because if their electrical code violations have the potential to kill you, God knows what the kitchen can do.

2 comments:

  1. Why haven't real restauranteurs discovered Nantucket? Like you said, it doesn't take major genius but just *some* attention to detail. After all, if you're in the service industry and want to remain in business, isn't it about catering to your clientele? Clearly, Nantucket loosely translates to "eat in whenever possible." Almost reminds me of Miami Beach: overpriced and nothing extraordinary to write home (or on your blog) about. There are the exceptions (particularly if you're in the market for a sandwich) but the places are never the full monty.

    I'd like a reservation at Chez Kitty. Corner table on the second floor, stuffed peppers and a wedge of awesome cheese. Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the best meals on the island are home cooked. We have enjoyed Millie's mexican-ish food, as well as that in Corazon-del-mar. We love our sandwiches at Simply Natural on Cliff Road. Sea Grille has great food though expensive and the atmosphere of a Cracker Barrel. The White Elephant is excellent and expensive but worth the squeeze. We had lunch at the Galley but though the wonderful views and service were better than the food, I still give it a good grade. Pi Pizza and Black Eyed Susan's should be embarrassed. But they aren't. As for the rest of the in town lobster roll-chowder-burger places like Brotherhood of Thieves, you won't be poisoned or electrocuted, but there are no "perfect bites" to be had. We will try Harbor Wok, an asian restaurant tomorrow night and report. Sayonara, dudes.

    ReplyDelete