THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Friday, July 9, 2010

CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE

The Notable Nibbler and her husband, the Bombastic Barrister, have arrived in Nantucket and are staying at the magnificent home of Mark and Jennie. Courtesy of Mark, we went out on a cruise aboard the "Belle" a wooden yacht built in 1925 and beautifully restored. The weather was perfect, the snacks and cocktails were too. Parked on the same private dock, across from us was an ocean-liner sized private yacht.. robin's egg blue and absolutely amazing. It belonged to Jimmy Buffett who is in Nantucket for some R and R.

I used to play the guitar and sing pretty well when I was a kid. My neighbor, a really pretty italian girl name Adrienne (Yo), was dating a high school friend named Felix Cavalieri, a founding member of The Rascals, a major rock and roll group. Another high school friend, Geoffrey Muldaur, went on to become a folk-singing legend. He even has a Martin guitar named after him, like Eric Clapton.

I thought back on my life as an orthopedic surgeon and the wonderful things it gave me in exchange for staying up all night bent over someone's broken whatever and those thousands of opportunities to spend time in an 8x10 closed room listening to the lamentations of the injured, aching, or otherwise unhappy. And I said to myself "I coulda been a contender." Maybe I couldn't but I guess we will never know. So here we are 50 years later and I am a passenger on a club yacht living in a garage apartment and Mr. Margaritaville is on his 150 foot yacht, the spoils of singing to millions of people all around the world. Well, at least we have one thing in common. We are both in Nantucket, and the weather is awesome. We went to the club and Mike had a cheeseburger in paradise. I had the Lobster roll.

2 comments:

  1. Reunited and it feels so good...especially with freshly made, chunky guacamole in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you buy the avocados. I know it is fresh.

    ReplyDelete