THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Friday, July 23, 2010

RAMBO RIDES AGAIN

Readers of this blog know that the Oracle has some unusual tastes. While Mrs. Oracle (aka Kitty) is a Fashionista and rolls in style in Mercedes, I prefer the surplus military "look." I came about this honestly in my babyhood when my father returned from WWII. My first major toy was a plywood jeep in Olive Drab green powered by an automobile starter motor and battery. My father made it in the garage. That was the start of it all. I bought an old military jeep in the 60s from a gas station. It had a makeshift snowplow welded to the front bumper. $350 well spent. While I was in the Army I bought a surplus M151 MUTT from the government for $100. When I went to pick it up, it had been cut into 4 pieces like Mel Gibson in Braveheart and was therefore worthless to me. They explained that they were not designed for use on the road and so were sold for scrap. They gave me my money back. Big disappointment.

I see the occasional Jeep Wrangler in Sarasota with a surfboard attached. In Nantucket, every other car is a Wrangler, and not just tourist rentals. My son in law completely scooped me by buying a green 4-door Wrangler Unlimited and is in the process of equipping it with all the right gear. Damn. Anyway, I am more of a two door Jeep fan. As I walk around or ride my bike here I stop and take photos with my iPhone of Jeeps with interesting paint-jobs and custom touches. There is a pink "Lilly Pulitzer" with flowers on it like the Kitty's motorcycle helmet from 1966, and another one in O.D. green military-style with a big star on the hood and stenciled serial numbers that I pass every morning on my way to North Wharf. That one is my favorite so far. I have an old SUV in my garage back home that needs to be replaced with something that Rambo would ride. Yo, Adrienne.

No comments:

Post a Comment