THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

HOT HOT HOT on de island

I complained to my landlord today. That's right, I live in a rented garage apartment. About once a week something goes awry that prompts me to say something. This week it is the air conditioning, or lack of it in the unseasonal 90 degree heatwave. We have two 5000 BTU air conditioners, one in the living room, which is not big enough by half to cool the 500 square foot space, and the other in the bedroom which is a bit long of tooth and grunts like the guy in Slingblade. They sell window units on Nantucket but not this week. They had one cheaper (Suplise...Chinese) unit in the Stop and Shop that I took home. The GE units will arrive at Marine Home Center on Thursday but there are only 40. Ah, the joys of island life. 'Ave annudah rum, mon. Evrytin' gonna be ahrite.

I felt like the monk who joined the monastery and took the vow of silence. Every five years he was allowed to say two words. At his first meeting with the abbot, he said "Food bad." Five years later he said "Bed hard." and finally, after being in the monastery for 15 years, he said "I Quit.' To which the abbot replied..."I'm not surprised. You've done nothing but complain since you got here."Anyway, it's not my landlords fault that "We're having a heat wave. A tropical heat wave."

The Kitty will be cooking home tonight. The two best restaurants in Nantucket are Famiglio's House of Pasta, and Casa de Kitty. Chicken and Noodles, spicy island style on the menu tonight. Nothing showing at the North Beach Theater ( our home ) since we forgot to check our P O Box for the Netflix mailings before the post office closed. Comcast's better than basic package has lots of channels to pick from and there's always MSNBC. My girl, Rachel Maddow, is in Afghanistan wearing an Army uniform, combat boots and no makeup, just like she does at home. If there's nothing else at all on, except test patterns and reruns of Gilligan's Island, I will tune in to see her.



2 comments:

  1. Are you sure there's nothing else we can bring you from the mainland? We have half of Kitty's closet so we can easily fit in some appliances in our luggage too... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be great if you could bring my barbells.

    ReplyDelete