THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Monday, July 12, 2010

SAILING in my LIVING ROOM


As the light streams through our bedroom window at 5:30 a.m. I wake up and begin my day. My usual routine includes making 12 cups of coffee in my Cuisinart coffee maker, turning on my computer, and checking my e-mail. I thought about adding a new item to my routine. I turned on the FOX Business Channel which airs IMUS in the Morning, I used to watch IMUS all the time back in Sarasota until he was forced off the air for making a racially sensitive remark about a women's sports team which, had Chris Rock said it, would have been "hilarious.". The basic premise of the show was and still is to bring to light the hypocrisy in politics and public life. I have to turn the volume way down because the Kitty sleeps until 8:30. After about 30 minutes I turned it off.

As much as I love my family, I enjoy this time alone. The Little River Band did a song years ago called "Cool Change." One of the lines in that song goes... If there's one thing in my life that's missing
, It's the time I spend alone
, Sailing on the cool and bright clear waters.

I don't have a sailboat, only my living room at 3 North Beach Street in Nantucket. And it is peaceful. There are no crazy babies running around in circles bumping into one another screaming "Mommy, Mommy.". No one asks me to take out the trash. It's just me, my coffee, and my thoughts.There will be plenty of time later in the day for all the chaos and sensory input. Imus demanded too much of my attention and I will save his show for another day. The only sound I hear right now is the gentle hum of the air conditioner... a pleasant white noise like the sound of waves in the open sea. Ahhhh.

I know a guy who wrote a book called the "Body Clock Advantage." He wrote that there are two types of people...Larks who enjoy the morning hours and Owls who enjoy the night like Ed and Shelley. I am definitely a Lark. The Kitty is probably and Owl though more often than not, she falls asleep watching TV so maybe she is some other kind of bird. Maybe a cat-bird.

Jimmy Buffett's yacht was here in Nantucket this week. It is a huge luxurious craft. "Music been berry berry good to Jimmy." There is a disconnect between the singer and the song. Here is a guy with yachts and airplanes and a home in Palm Beach who sings about simple pleasures like Margaritas and cheeseburgers. I like the lyrics to "He Went to Paris" especially the part about moving to the islands, fishin' and drinking rum every day. I find it strangely attractive. I live on an island in Florida, and now on Nantucket. The only thing missing at this moment is the rum. It's just too early even though "It's 5 o'clock somewhere." I think another one of those 12 cups of coffee I made will just have to suffice.




No comments:

Post a Comment