THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Vacationing @ BEDSIDE MANOR


There are a few reasons for our return to Florida during Hell (summer and its 95+ degrees). We came to see our friends, eat some good italian food that was not cooked by family members (italian restaurants in Nantucket are inauthentic so we cook our own), and visiting my doctor friend who is too sick to travel to see us up in Nantucket. This guy is like a brother to me, without the sibling rivalry. He also happens to be a doctor's doctor, the highest rank in our profession. While I was visiting, my wife (the Kitty) came along. And that's when I witnessed a a special "moment." It was bedside manner, or a bedside consultation... only the doctor was in bed and the patient was standing at the bedside. Now there's something you don't see every day. My friend perked up and gave my wife his best medical professional opinion about something that was bothering her. I got verklempt. I always joked that he was so dedicated and caring that he would treat you even if he were sick in bed...and here it actually happened.

Later that day, after getting a haircut, I met another friend at Demetrio's, the world's greatest pizzeria. Since we are going out tonight to have italian food at another of our favorite joints, I only had the Chicken Parmesan. My friend had the spaghetti and meatballs...I was jealous. I had not seen Tess and Terry, the waitresses there, for two months. Dino, the owner was also there. We have known him for almost 35 years.

Tonight we are dining with friends who came to visit Nantucket last month. As I walk around the island and encounter dogs, the 4 legged variety, I take pictures and send them to Stan and Merry, who are real pooch lovers. Anyway, that's it for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment