THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Thursday, July 8, 2010

I got HOOKED UP

Neighbor/landlord, George, told me before we came up here that he had internet in the apartment. Some days he does, and some days he doesn't. In true island style, the power goes off all the time. This messes with his modem and router and I lose my signal. Without the internet, I can't look up stuff on gOOgle or publish my Blog. I went back to Comcast where I got all those channels I wrote about in the past, and got what I need to have my own internet in the apartment. I set everything up and now I am in bidness. It is more resistant to failure as it resets itself quickly after brown-outs.

In a couple of hours I will call and or visit Marine Center to get my new air conditioner. The weather is getting cooler and by the time I install it, I probably won't need it. Unless Al Gore is right in which case maybe I should get two. The first month up here we never turned it on and slept with one or two windows slightly open. Speaking of windows, most homes up here have one size window, 27" wide by 53" tall double-hung, in white, with the same storm screen window combination outside. Unlike Florida where we have these huge panoramic windows everywhere and you have to order 12 foot wide blinds or drapes, there are only a few of these kinds of windows, and then only if you look out over the sea or some big view. Everywhere else, if you want more light, you add more of the same windows. Our living room has 6 of them strategically placed around the perimeter. Lots of wall space and easy placement of furniture because the sills are a little over 2 feet off the floor. There are no overhangs on the roofs. In Florida since the sun shines 23 hours a day, and it is hotter than Hell, you need large overhangs so the intense light and heat don't cook you in your home like a melted cheese sandwich in a toaster oven. Up here, they reduce the light and heat in the summer by a smaller glass/window area and in the winter, without the overhangs, you get the same light and heat from the Sun.

By the way, we use two expressions... "Cold as Hell" and "Hot as Hell." How can this be? It has to do with where on the globe the people live who coined the expression. In The coldness of Scandinavia, the Vikings' mythology described Hell as being a cold and frozen place because the worst thing that could happen to you is freezing to death. Hence it was their biggest fear and Hell was imparted with this horror. In warmer climes, like the Middle East where Christianity originated, our biggest fear was burning up in the desert and hence "Hot as Hell." Of course we also use the term in other situations now, as in "It's time for me to get the Hell out of here and do something useful."

No comments:

Post a Comment