THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Sunday, August 29, 2010

FAITH and BEGORRAH, Colleen

One of our dinner companions last night at my son-in-law and daughter's home was a beautiful young Irish woman. What started it all was the outstanding meal we had, created by Mark. It was his "signature" Paella which had everything that ever swam in it...shrimps, scallops, fish, clams, mussels along with chicken and yummy vegetables and spices. In my own inimitable way I proclaimed to the table "The best food I have had in Nantucket has been at private homes. Anything made here by Mark or Jennie, our house by the Kitty, or the homes of our friends. Remember the memorable feast in Madaket and another in Naushop which I wrote about?

This began a discussion at our end of the table about which restaurants on Nantucket were even good, regardless of price. There were a couple that I have not gone to, most notably Kitty Murtaugh's and the Hen House. Their fare is Irish food so naturally, let us call her a "Colleen."was in love with the food there. I have cousins in New York who are as Irish as the Blarney Stone and I have eaten Irish food many times. I can't think of ever saying" since I have become an adult "Let go out and get some Irish food." Irish whiskey or Irish beer in an Irish pub, most definitely...there is no better experience. Irish food, not so much, unless it's a home cooked meal made by an authentic irishman, preferably from New England.

So much of New England has Irish roots...something about a potato (Potatoe for Dan Quayle) famine and religious persecution. Mc___ and O___ are very common surnames (excluding O'Bama). The big JEEP company on the cape is O'Hara, for example. The basketball team is the Celtics. You get the picture. I can't wait to go to Kitty Murtaugh's and the Hen House so I can remove any preconceived notions about white potatoes and meat cooked to the point of disintegration. I shall be fair about the fare. I will drink Guinness along with the food to bring out the taste and the fun, but I will bring a small bottle of Tabasco Sauce, just in case. To get in the mood, I shall read some great Irish literature, and poetry, and more than a few sayings like the ones below:

May you live to be 100 years, with one extra year to repent.

We drink to your coffin. May it be built from the wood of a hundred year old oak tree that I shall plant tomorrow.

May God grant you many years to live, for sure he must be knowing, the earth has angels all too few and heaven is overflowing...

May the doctor never earn a pound out of you.

May the good Lord take a liking to you...
But not too soon!

May you die in bed at 95, shot by a jealous spouse.




No comments:

Post a Comment