THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Saturday, August 21, 2010

SMUL MRSE ...---...

I WAS THINKING ABOUT TEXTING. It is interesting that the technology of 1837 has come back to visit us today. I remember sending telegraph messages and operating a Morse Code key in my youth (Ham Radio). All those dots and dashes. Economy of words was important since they charged you by the word and you used all sorts of abbreviations... i don't remember CU, WTF, LOL, or BFF but I am sure there were equivalent ways of saying a whole sentence in one word. The young people of today have no idea what I am talking about and I am sure they never saw a Western Union Man walk down the street to deliver a cryptic message of seven words sent by telegraph. They have some idea of message size limitations because many current options limit you to 140 words and texting has a language all its own so that you can say nothing in fewer words. So here's another example of "Back to the Future" or the more things change, the more they remain the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment