THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Saturday, July 23, 2011

When is it time to SUE the BASTARDS?

Litigation is generally not for me unless I am testifying as an expert. Over my lifetime I have been cheated out of money and other forms of treasury by careless or unscrupulous people who expect that it would be my nature to just forgive and forget. It's time to call Denny Crane, Shyster.

Years ago I bought a ticket to a raffle in support of a local charity. We went to the Black Tie affair where the drawing occurred and Shazam! We won the grand prize, a trip to the Far East. About a week later I got a call from the president of the organization who started blowing smoke up my you-know-where and told me that he was thankful that I had won because if it had been anyone else "this" would be a real problem. I asked him what he meant by "this" and he said that they did not have the money to pay for the grand prize and that in reality I had won BUPKIS. Since it was a charity and I did not wish to cause them any hardship I "ATE" the loss. Not long after I found out that they had enough money to pay a 5 figure salary to the person who organized the events and there was no question in their minds that she would be paid in full. Me, not so much. I never pursued this further.

Now that I am older, wiser, less interested in "playing well with others" and with two children who are both lawyers, especially my son, Sharkey, the Pit-Bull, I don't think I would be so understanding this time around. Taking the "moral high ground" may not be turning the other cheek as I had once thought. Perhaps it is holding people responsible when they screw you so that perhaps others will benefit from the lesson and I can be (this goes back to the Code of Hammurabi and ancient Hebrew Law as well) made whole.

1 comment:

  1. I know that this is hardly a fecal matter, but it is always better to be the sewer than the suey, no matter how you chop it.

    Mosaic law, while balkanized and fractal, has survived much longer than Hammurabi's, Burke's, or Jude's.

    Hammurabi would have been more enduring had he lived longer, but in the days before antibiotics, one could even die of a code at a young age.

    And poor Justinian died of a pox romana, taking him out of the running early, too.

    But of course, you being an orca'le, and all that, perhaps you've found a solution to this timely and poignant matter that has heretofore eluded us all.

    Or knot.

    ReplyDelete