THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Sunday, July 10, 2011

FLAT TIRE or LESSON in ECONOMICS?

The oracle had a BMW small sedan a couple of cars ago. It had "run-flat" tires which are admittedly a safety device. If you get a puncture, the tire does not go flat and you can drive 50 miles to a gas station where they can't fix your tire or your dealer where they won't fix your tire. " We don't patch run-flats ". We sell you a new one. I paid 400 dollars for one tire on the right rear of my 335i.

Last week we flew back to Sarasota for a visit and I rented a Toyota Camry, white, gray cloth interior from Hertz at Tampa airport and drove it for 10 days. Other than not being able to find my car among all the other Florida white Camrys it was a thoroughly competent car. I put 10 gallons of regular gas in it before I returned it to Hertz.

A few days into the rental, a yellow tire pressure warning light came on. Very obvious. I took the car into Tire Kingdom Which is a block from Barnes and Noble. After reading a few car magazines and enjoying a cup of coffee, I walked back and retrieved my car. $20 total, out the door. We drove back to the Tampa airport this morning in torrential rain. I am writing this on my iPhone somewhere over North Carolina.

If anyone is in the market for a reasonably priced sedan that gets good mileage and performs well, I recommend the Camry. Get it in some color other than white or gray. If not you won't be able to find it at the mall. And they no longer have those whip antennae that you can tie a flower to... so the AARP technique no longer works.

1 comment:

  1. Rocky dude,

    I drive the Camry convertible - Toyota Solara - which they produced in 2004-2006 - outstanding car - especially for Connecticut in the summer - was thinking about buying one on the BMW lot when i test driving BMW 6 series after driving the four passenger Porche which was as cool as it was uncomfortable to sit in!

    ReplyDelete