THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Sunday, June 12, 2011

ANOTHER INSIDER GEM

I was invited to lunch at this establishment by my friend, Frank, who has been coming to Nantucket for decades. Though I pride myself at having waaaay more insider knowledge and experience that the average summer resident (there are three categories of people here...tourists, summer residents, and natives) I never heard of The Angler's Club.

Typical of Nantucket, it is in an idyllic spot on the second floor of the Ship's Chandlery building over looking the harbor, with a large deck. The interior reminds me of a cross between an old fishing camp and the Grille Room at a country club with plaques and flags and ships models everywhere. The whole interior is bright-varnished wood. Also typical of Nantucket or any club, the food is fine but not memorable. One of these days I am going to go to my club, your club, or some out of the way place where King Abdullah belongs and I get invited by chance, and I am going to have a knock-your-socks- off meal. So far it has not happened at The Field Club, The New York Athletic Club, The Metropolitan Club, Cosmo Club, The Harvard Faculty Club, the Key Biscayne Yacht Club, Coral Reef Yacht Club, Sarasota Yack Club, Ritz Beach Club, or a host of other places where I will not be able to go back because I was not gushing about the cuisine. It is just Par for the Course. the Nature of the Beast, or Not what clubs are about. So that's it. Lower my expectations.

Anyhow, I was grateful for the invitation and the chance to have a Sam Adams with my friend on the deck of this venerable institution for Members Only. That morning I spent a couple of hours on deck at the Wharf Rat Club listening to and telling stories. Back to back Nantucket historical institutions....what a treat.

1 comment:

  1. Yo Rocky,

    NA sounds great! How was your New Year's meal at the Concession back in 2009?

    We dine there regulurly and love the food there.

    Roberto

    ReplyDelete