THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Friday, June 3, 2011

UNICORNS, that's it, UNICORNS

Critical thinking and to an even greater degree critical writing, seems like a good idea. Who would not want to know the opinion of even a person of normal intelligence who has gone out of his way to be expository and research a subject? Surprisingly, half the people who follow my blog, hate half the things I write, half the time. That's a lot of hate. When I write about Nancy Pelosi it is hard to not pick on her for being overly Botoxed. If I write about a Republican, I can't help mentioning the seemingly endless string of moral lapses..illegitimate children, trips to "the (wink wink) Appalachian Trail" and tap dancing in the men's room. All legitimate targets of exposure, pardon the choice of words.

When I go to a restaurant, particularly here in Nantucket where the restaurant owner's great grandparents probably went to school in a one room school house with the great grandparents of one of my readers, I have to tippy toe through the food critique. Saying something like "It tastes like the styrofoam carton it came in" is considered attack journalism. I have to say something like "The chef must have inadvertently run out of spices." If the burger comes out with the texture of a charcoal briquette I have to bite my already sore tongue and say "A bit more well done than I usually prefer."

If I say something about a particular religion where the wearing of a diaper on one's head is mandated and the women walk around dressed like they are going to go in and clean up the Fukishima Nuclear Spill, then I can always find someone to call me Politically Incorrect. If I turn my observations to a more mainstream American religion, I had better not mention the SALEM Witch trials, the Spanish Inquisition, or other examples of mild intolerance.

So, what does that leave me with? Bunnies, and Unicorns. I have written extensively on Bunnies of all kinds, from the ones we see all the time in the backyards of Nantucket, to the fictitious one that comes at Easter. I guess, that brings it down to Unicorns for their lack of controversiality. I am sure someone will come up to me today and tell me "Didn't you know that the horn was a Satanic symbol?" Or worse yet... a fertility fetish? Anyway, It won't make as many people unhappy or rile them up, and I won't offend anyones religious or political sensibilities. On the other hand, I will feel like a phony politician, supporting farm subsidies in Iowa, and labor unions in Michigan. Or writing that looking like a wax figure in Madame Toussaud's Museum is essential to be speaker of the house regardless of your party.

No comments:

Post a Comment