THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Friday, June 10, 2011

SENIOR SPAM

Every day when I open my email I get SPAM from hither and yon. There is always something from AARP asking me to join and send in my money. I do not like the AARP. They are entitled to be a self serving organization that profits from its membership which is a good old capitalist idea. If you get some breaks on hotels and airfare you wouldn't get otherwise, I suppose it is a good thing as long as you don't mind getting spam every single day asking you to buy one form of insurance or another. I prefer not to.

Then there is the other side of the coin. The us-against-them part of the organization in which Seniors are pitted against everyone else for a bigger slice of the Federal Pie. Absolute unwillingness to even be a part of the debate about the two sacred cows of Social Security and Medicare. The politicians bend over backwards to appease them because there is no larger or more solid voting block (40,000,000 voters/contributors). To Hell with my grandchildren and children, I want all my drugs paid for (Medicare part D) and teeth too, and don't forget about my eyeglasses. The AARP is the equivalent of Service Employees International Union but for Geezers instead of service workers. When's the last time you heard of a union that cared about anyone but its own members?

No comments:

Post a Comment