THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Friday, June 10, 2011

ONE OF MY FAVORITE PEOPLE

Can't put my finger on it, we could not be further apart politically, but I really like this guy. Not only can he play the Hell out of this beautiful Martin guitar and sing, but he made the bench he is sitting on. It is located outside the store where the best crafted furniture in Nantucket is made and sold. He makes some of it with his own hands. As you can see by this one and only Mahogany bench in town, he has skills. It started as a dilapidated cast iron and sagging mystery wood bench that had seen way better days.

Last year we had a gourmet dinner that he prepared and it was among the best meals we had on Nantucket...ever. When I wore a younger man's clothes my inspiration came from people like Michael DeBakey, and other medical greats. Today, my gurus are more likely to be guitarist-woodworker-chefs. I hope I do as well following in their steps, strums, and dabbing of paint as I was in following my former heroes into the operating room where I became a carver of a different sort.


2 comments:

  1. Ah, life's passages.

    You now eat to a different strummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, I hear strumpets... could it be the Meow Meow?

    ReplyDelete