THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Monday, June 6, 2011

I COULDA BEEN A PLASTIC SURGEON

I am NOT implying that Raquel Welch has had any plastic surgery but, this woman is 70 years old. Years ago, back in 1970, I decided to become an Orthopedic surgeon. I could have gone through an awful General Surgery residency followed by a Plastic Surgery Residency, but I chose to do what I described as the closest thing to auto mechanics I could do without leaving medicine. It was the surgical specialty with all the wires, screws, and glue I used for a few decades.

When someone comes to you as an Orthopedic Surgeon, the best you can do for them is to try to restore them to as large a percentage or what was NORMAL for them before they wore out or got injured. You can never get to 100%. You can't do anything to make them a better athlete than they were before surgery. Plastic surgeons can take 100 pounds of clay and turn it into Penelope Cruz. With the help of a dermatologist, a cosmetologist, a beautician, a dietician, and Jillian the fitness chick, you can make anybody into a world class beauty. 500% better looking than they were before they got the makeover. And look at what you have created with your bare hands (albeit sheathed in rubber gloves.) As an orthopedic surgeon, your Magnum Opus is someone's grandmother who can now walk to the elevator at the ACLF. Maybe I can go back and take a fellowship in Boobjobery or something. Film at eleven.

No comments:

Post a Comment