THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Sunday, June 12, 2011

DOCTOR DOCTOR

In my study of Hunter S. Thompson, famous GONZO journalist, I learned that he often referred to himself as Doctor Thompson. I wondered what his "doctorate" was in. It turns out that he received a doctorate (not a tough one to get) from The Universal Life Church in Modesto California, founded by the Rev. Kirby Hensley. As luck would have it, I am a doctor in the same church.. I obtained my doctorate the usual way, online by paying for it.

For those of you who do not know, the Universal Life Church ordains lots of people who request it. In this church there is not a hierarchy of priests (although you can be named a priest among other things) and the congregation. Almost everyone is at least a minister. And if you register with your state you can perform, for example, weddings which are legally binding. You can even charge for your services and in these tough economic times, it could be a good gig. Much better than cold calling people to sell them encyclopedias. I have been a minister and more recently a doctor in this church for decades though I have never married or baptized anyone. The day ain't over yet, as Curley said.

So if anyone out there wants me to officiate at their wedding, Bar mitzvah (Reform only) or baptism, just call or write. With my medical doctor diploma and my ministerial diploma, just call me Doctor Doctor.


No comments:

Post a Comment