THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Saturday, June 25, 2011

EXPERTS like DIFFERENT STUFF

We are in the midst of a film festival and about 2 weeks ago there was a wine festival here on this island. I was reminded of a truism during our wine experience... that wine is as good or bad as the person drinking it thinks it is. Sure, there are experts who drink wine professionally every day who can make choices and grant "points" to wine and I defer to them on everything but what I choose to drink. The same is true of film.

Every years we have to suffer through the Golden Globes, People's Choice, and Academy Awards, all self-agrandizing events that celebrate how wonderful entertainers are. We enjoy watching their product (films) but I personally have to take anti-nausea medication before watching one of these award shows. "I would like to thank everyone I ever met including...."

There are creative people here at this festival who have done some amazing and extremely entertaining things. Their movies are a treat for me. The fact that it did nor did not garner the Academy Award (Oscar) or some other accolade means little or nothing to me. The Oscar is awarded based upon the opinions of people in the film industry. Their taste like the oenologist's taste in wine and why it got 98 points, is that of a professional. Movie pros are inured to many of the things that ordinary movie goers like myself find entertaining, and then there's the matter of politics. When Director/write/producer XYZ is lauded as Oscar winning I find that to be WONDERFUL within his craft and among his peers. To the movie goer such as myself, it is not an indicator that I will enjoy the film, which is the reason I paid money to see it. Same with wine...give me a chardonnay from the grocery store in the $15 class, and I am happy. Serve me a Chateau Lafitte for $1000 and you are wasting your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment