THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Saturday, June 12, 2010

DIS an DAT


The other day I wrote about the price of wine in Nantucket's various private ABC stores. Our "house" wine has been for years, Kendall Jackson chardonnay. We keep an open bottle in the fridge. My son read that blog and sent me this picture as "evidence" (he is a lawyer, and a damn good one at that) that I wasn't making the Florida Publix supermarket price up.

Speaking of things that give you a "buzz" I went to the Cisco Brewery yesterday with my friend, Frank, who has been a resident of Nantucket for 3 decades. I tried their "Grey Lady" beer which was reminiscent of the "Shandy" we used to drink regularly when I was studying at Oxford in a summer program. In England, at noon, they would open up the Buttery and an adult beverage was served before lunch. I chose the Shandy which is essentially 1/2 inch of Rose's lime juice in the bottom of a pint glass with lager poured over it.

Yesterday evening we dined on Chowdah (I am doing an in depth study of who has the best on Nantucket) and a hefty Burgah at The Easy Street restaurant. Another beer from the same brewery accompanied the food but it was "Whale's Tail" and it had a slight bitter aftertaste that was not citrusy. I much prefer the Grey Lady but it is an individual taste and you might prefer the Whale. It was perhaps a more manly brew.

Frank drove me around a bit yesterday in his vintage Jeep Liberty Renegade, a fine and sturdy conveyance that took us easily to isolated parts of the island that had beautiful sand beaches. You don't have to actually drive on the beach but all of the roads past a certain point are dirt ones with puddles and potholes, and at times were narrow, forcing one or the other driver coming from opposite directions to find a wider part and pull over. Do not go in a low slung car but any SUV would be fine. It has given me some ideas for things to do over the next few months...Bartlett Farm, repeated trips to the winery/brewery/distillery, and the remote beaches of the south shore with their surfers and big waves are musts. The dirt roads are fine for mountain bikes and most hybrids but I definitely would not go on a road bike. I tried my iPhone GPS and located us on the map easily. Even though we were in the "weeds" the roads were identifiable on the iPhone even though many of the roads even in town are not marked with signs.

I went to open an account at Nantucket Bank, yesterday, so that miscellaneous checks that I receive in my P O box can be deposited somewhere. It was an ordeal because the bank was short staffed. Pleasant little office right on Orange and Main, downtown. I will return on Monday when they have more time and payday does not get in the way. The bank is a division of Sovereign Bank which in turn is owned by Banco Santander from Spain. Ole' !



2 comments:

  1. "Esatamos haciendo algo bien" - Joe Cuba

    nomasdinero - Bob Cozzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael,

    Great picture and the wine is on sale!
    Que lastima!

    Hi to Grace!!

    - Bob Cozzi

    ReplyDelete