THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Son of the Beach

It looks like today is the day that I get my "ride" and start exploring the town au naturel, in an open air vehicle. There are 4 bicycle shops within a few blocks of our place at the beach. I had a little crisis of purpose earlier today and wrote an acerbic post about politics. I deleted it after reading nomasdinero's comments. I must have needed to go to town for an exorcism because now I feel much better and president what's-is-name doesn't even register on my radar. On my way back from the Wharf Rat Club I thought about life more than usual. I met people there this morning who are working hard, working some, and not working at all and they had one thing in common, they were in Nantucket for the summer and keep coming back every year.

It really does not matter what you do as long as you are in the moment when you do it. I get into flow when writing this blog. I feel the same when I just walk on the bricks and cobblestones of town or the feel of the wind in my longer than average hair when I ride a bike. There is no pressure to be anywhere or do anything special. It may seem that this is a recipe for boredom and drunkenness but there is a feeling of harmony that comes over you when you are not thinking about what you have to do next. There is no regret that you did whatever yesterday and wish you could take it back. It is all about right here and right now, which in actuality is all that we have. Yesterday is a memory and tomorrow is a fantasy and the point at which those two entities meet and the only moment in time that actually exists for us is this present moment. Why would we dilute that by dragging in the past and its regrets or giving any of our attention to a future and its fears that may never materialize ? Let go of yesterday and let tomorrow take care of itself. In the mean time I will be pedaling down Easy Street on my way to Pleasant Street or out to Brant Point lighthouse. Just call me a Son of the Beach.

1 comment:

  1. If you really want to know how to live just watch little children and dogs. Do what they do, don't do what they don't.

    ReplyDelete