THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'm just WILDE about OSCAR


Oscar Wilde wrote "Life is too important to be taken seriously." Yesterday's posts were a little too serious in the tone and subject matter, so today we are going to discus that always funny subject when I was a young boy, flatulence. Just kidding. I am going to write about friends, not just the "concept," but real friends who visit and bring a bit of home with them. And other real friends who put up with my rantings and either email me that I have finally gone "off the reservation" (oh, wait, was that PC?) or become followers of this BLOG and post their opinions along with mine in cyberspace.

I may have mentioned this before, but retelling the same story is not foreign to me. Writing a "cyber-diary" like this one reminds me of the guy who goes to the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem every day and places a note in a crack between the stones, as a prayer or intention. A woman has watched him do this for a month. One day she asks the man "What does it feel like to do this every day?" and he replies "It's like talking to a F'ing wall. " Well, without you out there giving me some feedback, its more like writing a note, putting it in a bottle, and throwing it in the sea. And we've all seen that movie. Sometimes Elle McPherson finds the bottle, looks you up, and becomes your live-in girlfriend, but mostly the bottles dash against the rocks and become sea glass. Cyberspace is a vast ocean.

Stan and Merry Williams are up in Nantucket and we have had the good fortune of spending time with them. We have had lunches and dinners, a bike ride, lots of coffee, and last evening Mark and Jennie took us all to their club following a visit to their house. Merry got the traditional leg hug and knee kiss from Bryn, and a tour of her Nantucket blue bedroom from Camilla.

In the not too distant future, we will be visited by Ed and Shelley, Bob and Maureen, and Mike and Grace (the notable nibbler). As wonderful as Nantucket is, the experience is multiplied many times over by these visits from our friends and loved ones. You bring a piece of home with you and you get to take back a piece of my heart. Oh no, I've seen one too many chick flicks and gone all gushy. Anyway, you know who you are out there. The ones who make me laugh and bring tears of joy to my eyes over simple stories like "the Wedding Celebration" and how you can't let important information fall into the wrong hands (inside joke).

No comments:

Post a Comment