THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Thursday, June 24, 2010

LOSING my RELIGION


A few of my friends, not remembering that I am basically a heathen or at most a Taoist, have asked me about religious establishments on the island. Religion can be a very serious subject or it can be a source of humor, or architecturally speaking, churches make nice photographic subjects. I will be taking lots of pictures today with my aforementioned fancy-schmancy SONY digital camera. Some of these photos will be of Churches.

Most of the ones I have seen so far are white wooden ones with tall spires, the kind you see in the background where someone is being plunged into the ducking pool in Salem. But there are brick ones too. The Unitarian Universalist Church is on the island. Their core beliefs include:

  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part....

  • What's not to like about that? Very much a part of the New England tradition and the founding of colleges and philosophical movements up here... not to mention freedom riding and civil disobedience. And, you know I and my good buddy, H.D. Thoreau are all over that "question authority" thing like white on rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment