THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Life Has No Porpoise

It is a cold and rainy day here on Nantucket, or as the locals call it, Spring. It's days like this spent indoors that give one pause and opportunity for reflection. Simple easily answered questions like "What is the meaning of life?" come to mind. Reminds me of the seeker who travels halfway around the world to visit the Great Guru who lives on the top of a mountain in India. After traveling for weeks by every conveyance imaginable he makes the difficult climb to the summit. There, sitting in the Lotus Position, dressed in a white robe, is the Great Guru. "Oh, Great Guru..." asks the man, "What is the meaning of life?" The guru answers "Life is like a rainbow." The traveler scrunches up his face, obviously disappointed, and manages to say.."I traveled half way around the world and endured unbelievable hardship and expense to get here and you are telling me Life is like a Rainbow?" The Guru replies "You mean it isn't?"
I guess if the Great Guru isn't sure, what hope do I have? Anyway it is an interesting pursuit and I do not think I shall ever give up. On this long and lonely trip all the other passengers on this spinning rock of a train seem to have newspapers to read and knitting to do and I sit here empty handed looking out the window as we pass through the occasional dark tunnel. Then we emerge into the light and there is so much to see that I forget to think. Is that a good thing...not thinking? So many of our metaphysical writers like Eckhart Tolle and Wayne Dyer opine that thinking too much and our Egos are the greatest enemies to enlightenment. The real meaning of life is obscured by "to-do lists" and obligations, and the never ending need to have more than the next guy because "that's how we keep score." I will stay the course, full speed ahead, raise the sails, and harpoon this whale, or my name isn't captain Rocky. (Too Nantucket?) See you in Port.



2 comments:

  1. "Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it."
    - George Carlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to buy a copy of "The Power of Positive Thinking" but then I said to myself..."What good would that do?"

    ReplyDelete