THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Thursday, June 10, 2010

If you can't take the heat don't open the kitchen

I have been advised through the grapevine that I should not be too critical of some of the eating establishments here on Nantucket. Well I have no intention of being too critical, only critical enough when it is warranted. When a place opens itself up to make a profit by selling food and drink to the public it opens itself up to review. I have devised a system of rating restaurants and bars that I call the Whale System. There are four categories...food quality, ambiance, service, and price. In each of these qualities you can earn anywhere from zero whales to 5 whales. A perfect score is a SCORE of whales (20). An establishment can have bad service and great food and still score well, overall. Ideally, you get to choose the categories that you think are most important, while I will merely test and rate.

We had a small lunch in Queequeg's, on Oak Street between East Street and South Beach. We went at the recommendation of my daughter who had a great experience there. It is a little hard to find but they do have a large sign facing south (see photo). It is next door to the police station. I ordered a smoked salmon sandwich. It comes on a toasted bagel and capers and onions are blended into the cream cheese. There is a small side salad included. I ordered a diet coke which came in one of those cutesy itsy-bitsy glasses but the refills were free. The service was prompt and courteous. The restaurant was clean and they had a convenient restroom. On the far end of the room a nice fully stocked bar spanned the entire north wall. I give Queequeg's: 5 whales for food quality, 4 for ambiance, 5 for service, and 4 for price. Of course they were not busy and this was a simple lunch, but if they do as well at dinner, I would gladly go back. When I try them when they are under a little more pressure, I will post a follow-up review.

No comments:

Post a Comment