THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE MARCHES TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUMMER

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

MEN are DOGS, WOMEN are CATS


I was reminded this morning, by the Kitty, that I clearly was less than the perfect husband because our vehicle was dirty. Its a Mercedes SUV and typical of SUVs everywhere, the ass-end, also known as the hatch, gets dirty an hour after you wash it due to the drafting effect, which only men who watch NASCAR and the Tour de France understand. Also, we live in a place where our landlord put out a bird feeder which of course attracts, surprisingly, birds. So, our white car has a dirty hatch and an occasional bird deposit. On top of that our parking space is surrounded by hedges. Water falls from trees onto your car when there is heavy fog here on the island, which is all the time. Now, Nantucket apparently has a car wash somewhere and I am charged with getting the car washed. That would make, along with my son in law's car, 2 cars on Nantucket that are washed (not including the rental jeeps). The rest have, like the houses and streets, patina. Just look around.

I was further reminded of all the housework women do and how men are drones as I was walking down stairs with the garbage because today is recycling day, and to back the car out of the driveway so she wouldn't have to touch the hedge, on my way to drop her at the salon and go shopping for home necessities and some groceries, arrange to get Comcast to hook up cable so she can watch "Meet the Depressed" and FOX News. And, oh yes. find the car wash.

This "my husband is a slacker" thing is not a 21st century phenomenon. I came across a passage in the Bible that established the precedent 2000 years ago. It reads "And Mary rode Joseph's ass all the way into Bethlehem."

We are up here primarily because grandma Kitty could not have survived the summer without seeing the grand babies every day. So, being the marginal husband that I am, I signed up for a 4 month lease, had the Mercedes SUV shipped up, and traveled by air and ferry to Nantucket. Retrospectively, it is a great decision that the Kitty made. I am really enjoying this place. I was wondering what my son-in-law was thinking when he bought a house up here, but as usual, he has proven himself to be the smartest guy in the room, and I get it now. This is a special place. Now if I can only find that carwash........ I can get out of the DOG HOUSE. Woof.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dad! There is a car wash off Pleasant Street. Drive as if you are going to Stop n' Shop and turn right when you see the sign for the Tresses Hair Salon at 117 Pleasant. The car wash is behind that building and it's pretty good (though very loud and initially quite scary to the girls!) Looking forward to our cocktail cruise tonight aboard the Belle.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions. I can save some money by going to the car wash instead of renting Basic Instincts or Psycho. Cocktails at dusk, a definite must.

    ReplyDelete